Believe In Your Song


I like music. I am sure that if you have read some of my other blogs, you might have picked up on that. I’ve got the music in me. I heat up, I cool down, I’ve got words in my head so I say them. Music lifts me up, it often calms me, it inspires me. Many of my memories are underscored with certain songs. As you can tell by how I write, I can often find a spiritual meaning in even a rock and roll song. The trouble is that I don’t sing very well. Children cry and dogs howl, it isn’t pretty. I do sing when I am by myself…who doesn’t. I even got a speeding ticket once because I was so into singing the song on the radio that I forgot to watch my lead foot. I would love to be able to sing for people, especially praise music and I would see it as such a wonderful gift to be able to praise God in song in a beautiful voice. It would also be nice to be able to write songs. But this is not my gift.

Many years ago I went to a concert of a popular contemporary Christian singer. The music was a real blessing for me. After the concert I was thanking God for the experience but also telling him how much I would like to be able to sing and express myself in song. The answer I felt that he gave me was that I should use the gifts that I had been given, especially the gift to express certain things in writing and it would be a song. The exact words I heard were, "Don't worry. Write these things...it will be a song." I would still like to sing with my voice, but now I know that the song I sing with my life is what God really wants to hear.

The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a mighty savior; He will rejoice over you with gladness and renew you in his love, he will sing joyfully because of you, as one sings at festivals. Zeph 3:17


God sings over us with a voice of truth. Our life song is best sung when the rhythm and rhyme of it harmonizes with the his song of truth. We can believe in our song then. We can know that 
God

believes in our song because it is his song as well. A life lived for God, no matter what comes to that life, is a song of praise. Satan just plain wants to stop the music. He will whisper words of discouragement in our ear. He will tell us lies. Especially when we are faced with obstacles, hardship and suffering. He will try to get us to give up. Some of us get so tired and want to give up. Some of us do give up. I asked myself what it was that has stopped me from giving up. Well, one thing is that I am pure stubbornness and giving up is not really part of my personality but besides that, what is it? I think that part of it is the song that is my life and what should that song be. Should that song be a song of praise that glorifies God and proclaims him? Or will it be a song that sings of a God who cannot do what he promises to do? The song of praise that is my life compels me to continue. Part of me will not give up because that would be proclaiming that God could not or would not do something. It would be saying that he is not the power that prevails but that satan was the most powerful this time. I can't say that, I won't say that. I will not proclaim satan as the sovereign power. The song of my life can only proclaim God as victor.

I am also led by a sense of honor and integrity. My song has to be true to who I am and to the commitments that I have made. Psalm 15 says that he who keeps an oath despite the cost will never be shaken. I have to keep the promises to the stands that I have committed to. To not stand would not be honorable, would betray my integrity. We are quite content to keep our vows, promises and commitments, to stand, when things are going well, when it is easy. When things get bad, when they are not easy, am I to break my word? What kind of song would that be? Am I to offer God a song that is not honorable, that has no integrity? No matter what I do a song will be sung. I guess the question is what kind of song do I want to sing? Will I sing with a voice of truth, true of me and the God that sustains me?

Give me the beat boys and free my soul. I want you to know that I believe in your song. I want you to know that God believes in your song too. Do not become too complacent in good times and forget to sing. Do not lose heart when it is hard, letting the song go silent. In suffering and hardship sing even louder and stronger. Believe in the song God sings over you, sing your song along with his and believe in your song. In heaven that will be heard in a beautiful voice.

Do not be afraid. Go on speaking and do not be silent. For I am with you. Acts 18:9

Whoever preaches, let it be with the words of God; whoever serves, let it be with the strength that God supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:11

My heart is steadfast, God, my heart is steadfast. I will sing and chant praise. Ps 108:1




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Just a Blogger in the On the Rock Band

To Love Somebody The Way He Loves You

Angry Birds at the Vatican