Doctor My Eyes Have Seen The Sweet Little Lies


Do you ever feel like the world has gone off its meds and is just listening to the voices in its head?

A pro-abortion blogger writes that abortion is a moral high ground, a sacred gift and assisting God. Another woman films her abortion to show everybody that it’s not so bad. Another article promoted abortion as a solution for infant mortality rates. Basically, kill them before they die to avoid the grief caused by their natural deaths. The UN was trying to force the Catholic Church to change its doctrines by saying that those doctrines constitute or promote torture.  Harvard students thought that a Black Mass was a harmless cultural event.  A child friendly statue of Satan has been commissioned with the intention of getting it erected in front of the state house in Oklahoma City. Campus police remove students, who were peacefully promoting marriage as between a man and a woman, from the campus of… Notre Dame.  It seems that is acceptable to give children, as young as nine, hormones to delay puberty just in case they may want a sex change operation. There are nuns who seem to think that they can serve Christ and His Church by being disobedient to that Church.

I don’t know, maybe the world went off its meds, listened to the voices in its head and that voice told it the remedy would be to go on crack.

Doctor, my eyes have seen the years…And the slow parade of fears without crying…Now I want to understand. I have done all that I could…To see the evil and the good without hiding…You must help me if you can. Doctor, my eyes…Tell me what is wrong…Was I unwise to leave them open for so long.

I guess sometimes it is just easier to close our eyes. We close our eyes to hide from the evil and the good. Because if we deliberately can’t or won’t see the truth we can believe, not what is, but what we want it to be. I had a conversation with a pro-abortion believer in which they tried to convince me that a baby in the womb was not a human being…yet. Now, if the product of human reproduction is not human, I queried, than what was it? Ah, it is human in matter and substance but not in being was the rejoinder. Are you a dolt of some kind that you cannot make that distinction? Excuse my mental deficiencies here but what be it then? That which can be observed and/or detected has an existence and a reality. It be, therefore has being. However, if one is uncomfortable with the word being, I will use reality.  A baby in the womb is a human reality. There was no rejoinder to that, no pithy reply, for reality and truth rendered my opponent speechless. Then we have the young woman who filmed her abortion. Actually, she did not film the abortion. She filmed her own face as she was having the abortion, as she closed her eyes and hummed to herself. Afterwards she said, “It will always be a special memory for me. I still have my sonogram…I feel in awe of the fact that I can make a baby, I can make a life”.  Conception, an affirmation of the feminine ability to make a baby, to make a life and an abortion which then took that life. Watching the video, however, I was struck by something…her eyes. Her eyes told a different story. She couldn’t hide her lyin’ eyes and her smile was a thin disguise. Thought by now you’d realize there ain’t no way to hide your lyin’ eyes.  Yet, as a society, we are portraying abortion as an affirmation of womanhood that can make a baby, that can make a life. We then thinly disguise the taking of that life by bathing it in a soft pink light of sonograms to preserve the special memory, of abortion doulas, of a sacredness akin to a birth experience, of high sounding moral arguments concerning choice, of concern over avoiding the grief involved in natural infant mortality rates. Let us all join hands and sing Kumbaya as we marvel in the feminine mystic, the awesome wonder of the power to make a life and then turn right around and take that life. At the rate of over 3000 a day in the United States. One every 2 seconds. Close my, close my, close my eyes, but I couldn’t find a way so I’ll settle for one day to believe in you, tell me, tell me, tell me lies. Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. Oh, no, no you can’t disguise. Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. 

Speaking of Satan…were we speaking of Satan? Well, indirectly, as the Father of Lies. But let’s go there with this Black Mass thing and the idea of erecting a child friendly demonic statue. You know, I was talking to a Christian friend who described a Black Mass as merely a parody of the Catholic Mass. Let’s just close our eyes to the fact that the point of a Black Mass is to blaspheme Jesus Christ…that would be your Jesus as well as mine, regardless of what we each believe about the Catholic Mass.  Let us ignore the fact that the Black Mass is how those who go forth in the name of Satan ritualistically express their great hatred for your God as well as mine. As long as we call it a parody…right? It is all freedom of expression, freedom of speech. In the same name of freedom and of equality we must, as well, either remove the Ten Commandments from in front of that State House or give Satan equal time and space. Never mind that the Ten Commandments has relevance to the law and government. As one of the models that helped form our law and our government it historically and traditionally has a place in front of our government buildings. Can a demonic statue of Baphomet claim the same relevance? Regardless, let’s put it up there and while we are at it, make it child friendly. Because the demonic is nothing if not child friendly. Just ask the little girl in the Exorcist how child friendly demons are and then watch her head spin around.  Now that is some jive talkin’ right there, tellin’ me lies, jive talkin’ that wears a disguise.

'Cause I have wandered through this world…And as each moment has unfurled…I've been waiting to awaken from these dreams…People go just where there will…I never noticed them until I got this feeling…That it's later than it seems. Doctor, my eyes…Tell me what you see…I hear their cries…Just say if it's too late for me…Doctor, my eyes…Cannot see the sky…Is this the prize for having learned how not to cry

I could go through every situation described in my first paragraph, and more, refuting the lies, trying to reveal how utterly insane they are. But nobody is going to read a blog that goes on for days. Besides, if it is not apparent at face value how ludicrous and removed from the truth they are you just may be one who has closed their eyes.

In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2 Cor 4:4

There are none so blind as those who will not see. If anyone has allowed secular or disobedient arguments to blind their minds, they are not believers. It does not matter if they call themselves one or not. It is time to stop giving the jive talkin’, sweet sounding little lies the floor. It is time to stop giving those arguments a false sense of credibility, giving them legs, by entering into debate with them. As if the truth is open to, subject to or determined by debate. It is time to stop fighting their fight, their way, by their terms and by their rules. It is time to stop battling according to the flesh and be more focused in our strategy.

For, although we are in the flesh, we do not battle according to the flesh, for the weapons of our battle are not of flesh but are enormously powerful, capable of destroying fortresses. We destroy arguments and every pretension raising itself against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive in obedience to Christ… 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

Because what we are doing right now is allowing the lies to have life and breath by entering into argument with them. In the endless twitter, youtube, combox and blog debates we are allowing them to have a voice that distracts from the truth. We have not guarded what has been entrusted to us by avoiding profane babbling and the absurdities of so-called knowledge. But, instead, allow it to be professed and to deviate from the faith. (1Tim 6:20-21) Because they are blind and have no interest in the truth but only to cause the truth to be buried under an avalanche of profane babbling and absurdities.  They want to take away our energy with their jive talkin’. And we are letting them, to the point that soon we become frustrated, overwhelmed and sometimes outmatched and ineffective against the level of error that is in the world, sometimes even among Christians. We risk losing heart and forgetting how enormously powerful our weapons are. There you go, with your fancy lies, leaving me looking like a dumbstruck fool.

Little children, you are from God, and have conquered them; for the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 Jn 4:4

It is time that we expect and will except no less than that every thought be captive in obedience to Christ and that we not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds, so that we may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2) We present the truth and present it as many times as we must. But we give that which is contrary to the truth no quarter and no voice. They will say “prove it”, they will say “give us evidence” that they have no intention of accepting. We should say “Evidence, we don’t need no stinkin’ evidence. Open your eyes. We have spoken the truth to you, accept it or reject it. I will pick up my pearls and go home rather than continue to cast them before swine.  For my message and my proclamation are not with persuasive words of wisdom anyway. But with a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God. (1 Cor 2:4-5) We have spoken the truth and will leave you to the power of God to remove the scales from your eyes. I will not be drawn into your fight, by your rules and your terms. I will not waste my time or my energy on useless, pointless, unproductive discussions that have no intention of seeking truth but rather seeks to disarm the truth through confusion.” We must lay aside our pride when they taunt us, we must lay aside our desire to win in the moment and not be drawn in by them. There is a bigger picture and a higher power than any plethora of words can provide.

I’ve got some news for you. And you’ll soon find out it’s true. And then you’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself…Just remember this…when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars and still not see the light...So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key…Because I’m already gone. And I’m feeling strong. I will sing this victory song.

There is one truth, one key that unlocks those chains and that is Jesus Christ, who has entrusted His gospel and that truth to His Church. We are to offer that key over and over but if they reject it we pick up our pearls, shake the dust from our sandals and are already gone before we allow the jive talkin’ and sweet little lies to have their way and their say. We do it feeling strong and singing a victory song. For we are children of God and have already conquered them. The truth has already set us free, that truth is a weapon of enormous power that in and of itself has destroyed their arguments and any pretentions raising themselves against the knowledge of God. For the one who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world and far greater than any argument the secular mind can conceive of.  It is time we acted like it.

We give them the truth as many times as we need to. We can give it to them on twitter, on youtube, in the comboxes but if they will not receive it then we let them eat their lunch all by themselves and we do not allow them to weaken us, dishearten us, wear us down or take our energy through being drawn into their kind of endless, useless babbling.  We must be better than that, more strategic than that and more focused. We have no need to beg for what has already been won by one far greater than ourselves.

“No weapon fashioned against you shall prevail; every tongue you shall prove false that launches an accusation against you. This is the lot of the servants of the Lord, their vindication from me, says the Lord.” Is 54:17

Doctor my eyes need to see more than just the sweet little lies. They need to, as well, discern what those lies are up to and when I might be helping them…or at least allowing them to have the upper hand.

 

 

Song References:

Doctor My Eyes, Jackson Browne, 1972 
Lying Eyes, The Eagles, 1975
Jive Talkin', The Bee Gees, 1975
Already Gone, The Eagles, 1974

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Love Somebody The Way He Loves You

I'm Just a Blogger in the On the Rock Band

Put a Little Love in Your Heart